lunes, 15 de febrero de 2010

Interview: Pional/ Entrevista: Pional


A Moot Point” has just been released and the first reactions couldn't be better. To be honest, we were expecting it. Pional’s music wins your heart at first sight and sticks in it forever. A big merit for a youngster from Madrid who, armed with a mic and a couple (literally) of plug-ins, proves that despite the worrying state of contemporary dance music there are still new paths to explore. Believe us, it’s just the beginning. For the moment he answers this mini-interview so we can know him a bit better.

How did you got into electronic music? My first contact was through some albums I bought without knowing for certain what I would find in them. I recall one of them was from Kenny Dope, also a Deep House compilation which name I've forgotten (actually, I don't even own it anymore). After that I focused in IDM, Boards of Canada and all that, later I started rising in bpm's to reach more atmospheric techno of labels like, for example, Border Community.

What's the most important thing about making music? That you really like what you're doing. To do it only thinking about yourself. In my case I only do music which I can enjoy as I'm making it, even when I do something quickly, like playing around with the mic, It has to be something that I enjoy. If it works, great, if not, maybe next time..

What would you say are your main influences? A bit of everything I guess. When I'm at home I don't usually feel like listening to pounding techno music so I get influenced by other types of music like folk or soul. But I can't forget people like Moodymann or Theo Parrish, who are key names in my musical evolution. Also, any composition by Bernard Herrmann.

Your music crosses deep house with pop. Is this correct? Totally, pop is a very wide genre, and I guess it's something that probably leaves it's mark in my tracks.

Could you briefly explain what equipment you use to make your music? I use some sounds from Reason, I changed my computer and I've still haven't copied all the vsts, but my plug-in repertoire is quite minimalistic, actually I only use two. From some time to now I try to record lots of sounds around my studio, from my fingers taping the table to the sound of a bottle.

Do you follow a same pattern when making music? I never repeat the same pattern, maybe i start with a bass kick and a clap to shape things at the beginning, but from there, it's all as it comes.

What records have you been listening to lately? St Vicent, Atlas Sound, Grizzly Bear and especially Where the Wild Things Are's OST from Carter Burwel and Karen O.

What's the state of Madrid in terms of electronic music?
It seems like it's starting to move again after a huge patch in nightlife, it's not a good idea to compare it with other cities, but i think we can't complain.

What are your future plans for Pional? Are you planning to play live? Mi immediate future it's to continue making music that people and myself can enjoy, at home or at a club. For the moment i don't have a live set prepared, I'll start preparing dj sets and, at the same time, I'll try to put together a live.

====================================================================

A Moot Point” acaba de salir y las primeras reacciones no podrían ser mejores. Nos lo temíamos. La música de Pional enamora a la primera y se te clava en el corazón para siempre. Mucho mérito para un joven madrileño que armado con un micro y un par de plug-ins demuestra que, a pesar del preocupante estado de la música de baile actual, aún quedan caminos por recorrer. Creednos, es sólo el principio. De momento aquí va esta mini entrevista para que le conozcais mejor.

Como entraste en contacto con la música electrónica? Pues recuerdo que fue con álbumes que me compré sin saber muy bien lo que hacia de un tal Kenny Dope, un recopilatorio de Deep House que de hecho ya no lo tengo y no recuerdo ni como se llamaba... luego pasé a la idm de Boards of Canada y más tarde fui subiendo en bpm´s hasta techno más atmoférico como puede ser border community.

Para ti , que es lo mas importante a la hora de hacer música? Que te guste realmente lo que estás haciendo, hacerlo pensando en tí, particularmente, en mi caso, se basa en que mientras hago la música pueda disfrutarla y aunque me lleve poco tiempo hacer algo pueda disfrutar con un micrófono haciendo rarezas que si me valen bien, si no..pues otra vez será.

Cuales crees que són tus principales influencias? Pues creo que un poco de todo, no me gusta mucho escuchar bombos por la tarde cuando estoy en casa, asi que suele influirme más otro tipo de música como puede ser el folk o el soul. Pero no puedo olvidarme de gente como Moodyman o Parrish que han sido muy claves en mi evolución musical y cualquier composición de Bernard Herrmann .
Tu música parece querer cruzar el deep house con el pop. Estás de acuerdo?
Totalmente, el pop es un género muy extenso, y es algo que posiblemente quede plasmando bastante en mis tracks.

Nos puedes explicar brevemente de què se compone tu estudio?
Utilizo algunos sonidos de Reason, cambié de ordenador, y aún no he pasado todos los vsts, pero mi repertorio de plugins es algo minimalista, tengo a penas (que utilice 2). Desde hace un tiempo intento grabar muchos sonidos por mi estudio, ya sean golpes a una mesa o a la botella de agua que tengo al lado.

Sigues siempre un mismo patrón a la hora de de producir?
Nunca tengo el mismo patrón, quizás suelo empezar por un bombo y algún clap para dar algo de forma al principio, luego ya es sobre la marcha.

Que discos has estado escuchando últimamente?
Así de uso más cotidiano: St Vicent, Atlas Sound, Grizzly Bear y especialmente la banda sonora de Where the Wild Things Are de Carter Burwel y Karen O.

Como ves Madrid en materia de música electrónica? Pues parece que va arrancando después de un bache nocturno que ha sido muy fuerte, nunca es bueno compararlo con otras ciudades, pero uno no puede quejarse, :)

Cuales son tus planes de futuro inmediato para Pional? Habrá directo? Mi futuro inmediato es continuar haciendo música para que algún dia yo con mis cascos, la gente en su casa o en un club puedan escuchar y poder disfrutar. Respecto al live de momento no tengo nada preparado. Empezaré a preparar dj sets y entremedias ir arrancando algún live.



No hay comentarios: